'The ref gave me a red card!' David Beckham reveals how he was 'sent off' from the sidelines at son's football game in LA

By Liz Thomas and Sarah Bull


Red card: David Beckham has revealed how he was 'sent off' while watching his son's football game

He's faced a red card in his own professional football games in the past, but David Beckham would hardly have expected to be dealt one while cheering on his sons at football.

The 36-year-old revealed during his appearance on last night's Jonathan Ross show that he was 'sent off' during a match in LA recently after sticking up for a child who he felt had been punished too severely.

During the interview, which aired on ITV last night, the footballer recalled: 'I was watching the kids play the other day, it was the game just before they were playing.


'It was the younger kids of Romeo’s club, and they’re playing in the game and there was a penalty given. And the kids are seven-years-old and he sent the kid off.

'And I was like, "Come on, he’s seven-years-old, referee, you can’t send him off."

And he looked at me and was like, "Yes, I can." And I was like, "Ok, well, you can’t, he’s seven-years-old."

'And he came over and gave me a red card. He told me to get out of the park. For real. The gate was only 20 yards away and I waited and went back in when my son’s game was on.'


Watching from the sideline: Beckham is no stranger to giving his sons tips to use on the pitch

Bending it like dad: All Beckham's three sons appear to take after their father on the pitch

David also spoke about the fact that despite being happy in Los Angeles, the family will always be proud of their British roots.

He said: 'My children have been happy for five years there, they’re stable there.

They’re loving life there. My eldest is 12 years old now, he needs stability, so we did it for that, but we also love living there.

'But my boys, they love coming back to London, they love pie and mash. They did turn their nose up at liquor it’s not the most attractive gravy. But it’s amazing. All the boys, apart from Cruz, have the liquor. None of them have touched the jellied eels yet!'


Oh, come on! Beckham had defended a child he felt was punished too severely, but ended up banned from the game himself



source:dailymail