'Jen isn't dull, I was': Brad Pitt goes into damage control after cruel comments about married life

Labels: , , ,

By Daily Mail Reporter


Backtracking: Brad Pitt insists his comments to Parade magazine about life during his marriage to Jennifer Aniston have been misunderstood


Brad Pitt says his comments about his marriage to Jennifer Aniston was have been misunderstood.

Pitt gave the unflattering description of his time with his ex-wife in an explosive interview with Parade magazine in which he said he is finally a 'satisfied man' with Angelina Jolie.

In the interview, Pitt admitted that he had 'wasn't living an interesting life' before meeting Jolie and that he spent his five years with Aniston 'trying to pretend the marriage was something that it wasn't.'


Now Pitt, who is promoting his new movie Moneyball says he is upset at the way his comments about Aniston have been used.

'It grieves me that this was interpreted this way,' Pitt said in a statement.
'Jen is an incredibly giving, loving, and hilarious woman who remains my friend.

'It is an important relationship I value greatly. The point I was trying to make is not that Jen was dull, but that I was becoming dull to myself, and that, I am responsible for.'

For her part, Aniston managed to put on a happy face in Manhattan last night as she stepped out with boyfriend Justin Theroux

Pitt, 47, raised more than a few eyebrows when the candid interview was released yesterday.

He told the publication: 'I spent the '90s trying to hide out, trying to duck the full celebrity cacophony.

Now a 'satisfied man': Brad with Jennifer Aniston at the Cannes Film Festival in May 2004 and right, with his new and exciting love Angelina Jolie this month


'I started to get sick of myself sitting on a couch, holding a joint, hiding out. It started feeling pathetic.

'It became very clear to me that I was intent on trying to find a movie about an interesting life, but I wasn't living an interesting life myself.'

He said: 'I think that my marriage had something to do with it. Trying to pretend the marriage was something that it wasn't.'

Pitt married Aniston, 41, in 2000 after dating the former Friends star in the 1990s.

They split five years later soon after he filmed Mr and Mrs Smith with Jolie, 36.

Uncensored: Pitt appears on the cover of Parade and inside describes his life in the Nineties as 'pathetic'


Since then the couple have gone on to have six children, three of whom they adopted.

Pitt continued: 'One of the greatest, smartest things I ever did was give my kids Angie as their mom. She is such a great mom. Oh, man, I’m so happy to have her.'

The comments cut rather close to the bone, considering Jennifer, 41, has made no secret of her desire to be a mother.

In contrast to his life in the 1990s, Pitt says he is now very content.

'I put much more emphasis on being a satisfied man. I’m satisfied with making true choices and finding the woman I love, Angie, and building a family that I love so much.

What comments? Aniston put on a happy face in Manhattan last night as she stepped out with boyfriend Justin Theroux


'A family is a risky venture, because the greater the love, the greater the loss. That’s the trade-off. But I’ll take it all.'

As the interview progressed, he opened up about raising his family with Angelina.

'I was surprised at how automatic it is, how much of it is instinctual. And now I have a great confidence and trust in those instincts. I mean, one sound at night and you’re awake and up because they may need you.

'Or when they start to have a tantrum, you know to divert them from spinning out by helping them focus on something. It just goes on and on. I tell them, “You can make a mess, but you’ve got to clean it up.'

Willing to dish to the press about secrets of his first marriage, the actor, who is currently filming World War Z, is far less happy when the press intrudes on his current private life.


Family ties: Brad, Angelina and their six children were recently in London while he filmed World War Z


'I mean, how many stories have you read that aren’t true, stories about me and Angie being married or fighting or splitting up? And when we don’t split up, there’s a whole new round that we’ve made up and we’re back together again!' he explained.

'We’ll get married when everyone can. We’re not splitting up. And we don’t have a seventh child yet.'

Pitt's comments were made during his promotional tour for Moneyball, which opens in the U.S. on September 23.


source:dailymail